Sunday, October 24, 2010

#13 Social Networking -- Don




A couple of weeks ago I saw the movie about the guy who founded Facebook.  It was a pretty good movie, but it’s one of those films where the conversation is so rapid and barbed that you know you’re listening to the screenwriter who had days to think about how he wanted to phrase things instead of the meager seconds the characters would have had.

I’m not saying that’s necessarily a bad thing, it’s just that when a movie is supposed to be based on real events, it’s usually the special effects that make you go, “Hmmm,  that would never happen” instead of the dialogue. 

In this movie, the film makers wanted to portray the kid who founded Facebook as a real backstabbing SOB.  The way it’s laid out in this movie, just as the stock was about to be worth millions, he duped his first partner into signing some legal documents that reduced his share from a third of the company to less than one one-hundredth of the company.  Of course, eventually he had to give his former partner (and roommate) a settlement that was worth millions, but the message of the movie is basically that the young billionaire who started the whole Facebook phenomenon needed to be sued by one of the only real friends he ever had.

It’s ironic, see, the guy who made counting your virtual friends trendy (and made himself filthy rich in the process) didn’t know how to treat his own friends in real life.  I’m not saying what happened in the movie didn’t happen, but when film makers decide to bludgeon you over the head with their message, it’s hard not to wonder what the other guy’s perspective is on how things went down.  In one review I read of the film, the screenwriter admitted that he had never met the guy he was writing about because he based the script on a book that had been written about the whole sorted story.  Perhaps if he had known the guy, maybe the main character wouldn’t have come off as both a historically astute businessman and a monumentally inept friend to his former roommate.

As for me, I have to admit that I’ve been slacking on my Facebook reading lately.  There was a time when I was a bit compulsive about checking people’s status updates, and for more than a year, I worked at have having particularly clever things to say in my own updates everyday.  Lately, however, I’ve been going for the better part of a week before checking in, and I rarely find myself reading more than the comments that show up on my first page.

So what has cured my Facebook addiction?  Another addiction, of course.  It’s odd that the time I used to spend on the computer catching up with high school friends, cousins, college buddies, and former students, I’ve been using instead to play a new video game called “Minecraft.”

Minecraft is a video game that drops the player into a world that is basically built out blocks, and the player manipulates the blocks into building shelter before the monsters arrive.  It’s both a creative “let’s see what we can build” type of game and a “on no, here’s comes the zombies again!” kind of game meshed into one.
The irony of this, of course, is that instead of using the computer to connect with other people; I’m using the computer to escape to my own deserted island.  But I guess after a year or so of doing the social networking thing, I was ready for a break.

Don’t get me wrong, I love (well, at least tolerate) all the people on my friends list; it’s just lately the amount of cognitive noise it was generating with “I’m sleeping in today,” or “I’m cooking beans for dinner,” or “I’m about to watch television” type of posts made me long for a place where I could get off and be alone with my own thoughts for awhile.

Of course, my infatuation with Minecraft is not going to really last all that long.  First, there’s only so many castles a guy can build before he’s had enough (even with arrow shooting skeleton’s banging on the door), and second, very soon the multiplayer version of the game is going to take over my life, and I think I’ll find myself back in the virtual loop again.

Up till now I’ve been adamant about skipping the Farmville and other games that people play on Facebook.  I’m not so sure I’ll be able to resist the urge to build castles and kill zombies with my friends.

Who are my real friends?   They’re the ones who care about me even when I go days and days on my lonely tropical island before I get back to them on Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Don,
    I was wondering who won this year's annual tussle - you and your trusty steed or the grass. You might want to consider posting a summary on your facebook page. You fans would be grateful.
    Myself, I've befriended Camilla Sdo, NASA's rubber chicken mascot. She's hanging with a teddy bear named Fuzz Aldrin. Just in case you wondered what an astrophysicist does in his or her spare time......someone is handknitting spacesuits for the chicken.

    ReplyDelete

Don and Olivia encourage readers to say whatever they want about the weekly topics addressed in Father/Daughter. Keep in mind that random, profane, or offensive comments will probably be deleted pretty quickly.