Monday, October 25, 2010

#13 Social Networking - Olivia



The phrase "social networking" sounds redundant to me.  And like it's trying too hard.

I mean, what is networking without a social aspect?  Even with the technological element removed, striking up a conversation with someone because of the mutual benefits one could assume from such a relation, be it connections, job offers, free stuff, or even good advice, isn't that social?  Doesn't it require a smidgen of social graces at least?

And don't tell me when you're casually social that you're not getting anything out of it.

I don't know who makes up this new age media jargon.  But I agree that the shift in communication values has begun with my generation.

The internet has been forged from the fires as a modern day Swiss Army knife of sorts.  Once the ultimate tool of basic survival, the ironically neutral Swiss could make a mean knife.  It kept people alive.

The only difference in the analogy would be that instead of keeping people alive, the knife played by the part of the internet enables a very dependent lifestyle instead.  The internet becomes a survival crutch instead of a survival tool.

It's become that product you can't believe you lived without.

Within the last decade alone, we have seen writing letters, making phone calls, paying for music, and reading the newspaper fall out of normalcy.  Now, it's expected to engage in facebook, texting, downloading, and general internet surfing.

I have always been slightly leery of the changes of technology, only because I know more will come.  Nothing is permanent.  But a greater concern has stepped forward.  I call it the real life social application gap.

Essentially, despite hundreds of ways to contact people these days, it's become increasingly difficult to actually communicate - especially in person.

I recently became friends with someone who teaches seventh grade English.  She told me she was struggling with having her students edit "texting jargon" from their essays.

I hate to say it, but I feel like an old person when I say that those kind of conflicts with general writing boggle my mind.  But if we've learned anything, it's language is a fluid growing thing, so ... maybe they're on to something?  I shudder when I consider the possibilities.

It's one thing to not be able to understand your kids and something else when your kids are speaking a completely different language.

 As a communications major, I feel like I have some real concern for the future of social networking.  If there is no communication, progress stops.  I fear I hear the brakes grinding yet.

I always want to understand people and be personally understood.  I hope that we can progress to a place where expression is once again revered for quality and not efficiency.

And if not, theres always urbandictionary.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don and Olivia encourage readers to say whatever they want about the weekly topics addressed in Father/Daughter. Keep in mind that random, profane, or offensive comments will probably be deleted pretty quickly.