Monday, December 6, 2010

#18 Holidays-Wholly Dazed - Olivia



To those of you who talk to me regularly, I apologize for repeating myself, but I want the world to know that after years of just rocking Christmas, I finally added Hanukkah to the repertoire.  

Yes, it rocked my world.  Kwanzaa, next year is your year. 

Now, I'm guessing there will be some confusion.  Something in the form of, "You celebrated Hanukkah?  In Rexburg, Idaho??" followed by a, "And why ...?"  Good question, reader. 

Yes.  I celebrated Hanukkah in the isolating, overwhelmingly Christian, currently frozen state of Idaho.  I did it because I was invited to do so.  And it was awesome.  

We read a story about the havoc the Greek Syrians wrought on the Jews and the miracle of the oil lasting eight days, we lit the menorah, we sang about dreidels, and then ate latkes and chocolate coins.  

My favorite part was learning about miracles - or at least for me - re-introducing the idea of miracles in my life.  

Thanksgiving was literally last week, and already I have caught myself grumbling about what I don't have or can't do.  I had already forgotten that the reason we get off work on a Thursday in November is not to power nap after an unmentionable amount of calories, but because we have an opportunity to realize how truly good we have it.  

Now, while thinking about the struggles the Jews had to endure, I was given the opportunity to pause and reflect again.  

Folks, we celebrate holidays and traditions to remind ourselves of important things.  I wish I lived in such a way that I kept those things with me always, but I am always grateful for the reminder.  I am perhaps just beginning to realize how important tradition is.  

Christmas is coming soon and I want to be ready for it.  

I want to appreciate the gifts, and the fun side culture that comes with the whole ordeal, but I don't want to be caught once again forgetting.  With two holidays checked off my list, it would be embarrassing if I still failed to remember the quiet reminders, the traditions that teach small but great things, or the importance of the time we've been given.  

I mean, how ironic is it that we spend so much time thinking about getting a tree, wrapping gifts, going to holiday parties, and spending copious amounts of money, that after all is said and done, we're not rejuvenated, grateful, and more committed to live with love in our hearts.  We're exhausted, maybe jaded, and further isolated from what should keep us going.  

We're not getting the pay off from that investment and it happens so easily.  Suddenly holidays (holy days) truly does become time spent wholly dazed.  

Don't let it happen to you, dear readers.  Because you deserve better.  I just know it.  



On an unrelated parting note, check this piece of weirdom out!  Klingon Christmas Carol 


Don Replies:

This was an awesome post.  I can't wait to hear about your Hanukkah experience in person.  No doubt one of my best Christmas presents this year is simply that you're coming home.  Merry Christmas to me.

By the way, I hate how all the stores barely have the Hanukkah merchandise put away before they're dragging out the Kwanzaa.  Funny stuff.  See ya soon.

1 comment:

Don and Olivia encourage readers to say whatever they want about the weekly topics addressed in Father/Daughter. Keep in mind that random, profane, or offensive comments will probably be deleted pretty quickly.