Tuesday, September 28, 2010

#9 Sterotypes - Olivia



As unfair as it may seem, I categorize people according to their shoes.  

They're not a terrible item for deduction.  

For one, everyone needs them to get service at most establishments.  Probably to prevent an epidemic of foot fungus or to keep them warm when you're in the frozen food aisle.  Also to increase the likelihood of keeping your toes, which are actually pretty necessary in balance, I've heard. 

Plus, they're a safe investment.  You're going to use them daily.  You can genuinely think about their worth in terms of mileage or function.  

Then there is, of course, the aesthetic aspect.  Shoes are the bass players of your ensemble.  They say a lot about your look while maybe not saying the most.  They do their own thing.

You may only notice them in elevators, but somedays, it's all I can take in about a person.   It makes deciphering a person a touch easier.  Crazy, am I? 

You do it too, whether you realize it or not.  

There are general assumptions made about the barefooted.  And perhaps we associate things those in steel-toed boots.  What about those who own a pair of bowling shoes?  Or only wear flip-flops?  Or wears of Chuck Taylors? 

I cannot deny the sentiment I feel about wearers of Crocs.  

We project status on Cinderella when suddenly she can dance in glass heels.  

Somes the clues are helpful.  It helps us filter.  

I am a moccasin wearer these days.  I got them at thrift store.  They don't off the support of, say, my last thrift store pair of Keds, but they're comfortable.  And I like the beading - I said it.  

Don replies:
I've never thought of judging people by their feet, but what you say makes a lot sense.  If we're going to put people into categories, why not start from the ground up?  The nice thing about sorting people by their footwear is that clearly people make their own choices as to how they want to display (or conceal) their feet so at any time, they can move from one clique to another merely by slipping on a new pair of kicks.  I really want to make a pun about the dangers of judging people's soles, but I'm afraid you'll put your foot down and I'll end up looking like a heel.  Okay, enough for now, let's meet back here next week; I'm sure we're both going to have a lot to say on the topic of "Grandma."

4 comments:

  1. can i comment? oh how i agree with you, olivia. shoes make or break an outfit and tell so much about a person. shoes are fantastic. and it wasn't clear...you like crocs? or not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you can comment, Aubrey! And unfortunately, I do not look fondly upon people who wear Crocs. I don't care how comfortable they are, they look ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! ooooh good. i was worried there for a minute. cros are the most ridiculous footwear i've ever seen. okay, maybe not THE most ridiculous. but, close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I generally judge people based on their shoes too! It only seems like a good idea for others though because I would never want people to judge me on mine. I wear the same beat up shoes forever and I am never quite satisfied with the ones I have.

    As for the croc-thing, I also used to judge people poorly for wearing crocs until my mother bought me a pair. As much as I hate to admit it (and trust me I do) they are the best. When it rains they don't do that uncomfortable-slippy-toe-hurt-thing that flip-flops do but they dry quickly and you can wear them in creeks or hiking. As dumb as they look I think they are the only shoes I am happy with that I own.

    ReplyDelete

Don and Olivia encourage readers to say whatever they want about the weekly topics addressed in Father/Daughter. Keep in mind that random, profane, or offensive comments will probably be deleted pretty quickly.